'Captivating' - Stasi Eldredge

View previous topic View next topic Go down

'Captivating' - Stasi Eldredge

Post by Leona123 on Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:31 am

I first read this back when I was a new Christian at uni.
At the time it was a bit much. I was fiercely independent and hated all that 'lovey dovey' stuff Christians spout, so picking up a book about my 'fragile female soul' was perhaps not the wisest of moves. In fact at the start of Captivating, Stasi Eldredge writes, "As a new Christian, the first book I picked up to read on godly femininity I threw across the room. I never picked it up again."
Funny that I had a pretty similar reaction to hers at first... but I did pick it up again a few years later, and then after that it became a staple source of inspiration and encouragement across the years when I needed a 'top-up' of understanding. And I think each time I read it along my walk with God I see something else in it, I unpack something new, I explore a different part of my heart that was still closed off on the last read (the fact that i just used the phrase 'explore part of my heart' rather than 'thought it through' is testimony to the impact of this book!)
It's still quite a cliche and cringy book for me at times, and i've asked a few friends who have read it too and they've felt the same.
But once you push through the sections that seem a bit much (like the part about how all women are princesses wanting to be pursued and rescued by their knight and needing the comfort and protection of their dad), the book is an amazing resource for women who - no matter what age - are still trying to get to grips with their identity; still struggle to see themselves as the Bible says God does; have issue with the days when they're just 'a bit too emotional' compared to most.

Throughout the book Stasi explores one of the lesser discussed attributes of God; the female element of his character. By drawing parallels with creation and stories in the Bible, Eldredge explores the ways in which women approach situations and their thoughts and how that links into God's approach to us. That our desires to be captivating to someone (pursued/wanted/cherished/etc) is the way in which we are already seen by our creator and the winner of our hearts from the start.
The book also looks at the attributes that different women carry at different levels, and that it's perfectly acceptable to be an assertive, strong, and pioneering person while still simultaneously feeling like a young girl playing dress-up as an adult Razz

As I said, every time I read this I get something different from it, which is probably the same for everyone else too. So I'd really recommend you give it a try.

As for those of you who have read it already - what did you think?
Leona123
Early Reader
Early Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Captivating' - Stasi Eldredge

Post by LittleMissSunshine on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:27 am

Do you know what, i had the same response when i first read it too.
The whole embracing your feminine needs thing seemed so stupid to me at the time and so cringey. But i think what made it more cringey was that parts of it did actually resonate with me, and the more i got into the book the more i realised that that was okay and i didn't need to be pushing those thoughts down to the deepest darkest recesses where no one could see Razz
Definitely worth a read.

LittleMissSunshine
Early Reader
Early Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum