Any other translation addicts?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Any other translation addicts?

Post by Mrswildthing on Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:03 pm

When my daughter was small she had a fixation for doll's pushchairs. She would always ask for a new pushchair for Christmas "because I haven't got one like that." I have to confess that I am the same with Bible translations/paraphrases. I mostly use Biblegateway when I study and that gives me access to so much choice! I have always used the Amplified since I had my first copy for my 18th birthday. That survived until I was 40 when I was given a replacement! Now though I have a copy of the Expanded Bible and am trying to convince myself I really can not justify buying The Voice!

Mrswildthing
Aslan Review Team
Aslan Review Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Any other translation addicts?

Post by LittleBlueCar on Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:16 pm

Ha, i was like that when i first became a Christian at 18 and was ill-informed about different translations.
i got a NKJV Youth Bible because i liked the layout (and the cover Wink ) but soon realised that it was a bit heavy for a newbie and i needed something more readable.
Then i got an NIV because that's the one everyone else seemed to have.
Then i wanted a pocket sized one because i couldn't manage carrying my Bible plus all my uni books round with me, so i got a pocket sized ESV (because i too had been dabbling on BibleGateway and liked the ESV style).
And then after years of dipping in and out of versions, i settled on NLT and bought 2 from Aslan:
One was an amazing NLT study bible with a soft brown leather cover and a cute patchwork cloth stripe that i loved. It's quite a hefty one, size wise, but one that (like you) i imagined keeping as a study bible to use at home forever more.
The other was a small pocked sized NLT that i could leave in my bag without being weighed down.
So yeah... i have a fair new!
Oh, and i had a Message little New Testament pocket sized book too Razz
LittleBlueCar
Early Reader
Early Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amys Auntie on Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:32 pm

Great to hear others find choosing a suitable translation a bit tricky. Over the years I've found the NKJ a great bible to use when being taught, the NIV to study with and the Good News to obtain a different slant on familiar passages. I love The Message and The Amplified but having them all (plus so many others) on one app through Bible Gateway has been a huge bonus in recent years. My Good News copy includes the Apochrypha which I have attempted to read through on several occasions over the years but have not managed to get to the end so far. The Voice I don't know yet but give me time!!
What would I recommend? I really wouldn't like to say as they all have their own qualities and appeal.
Amys Auntie
Early Reader
Early Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrswildthing on Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:08 pm

If I could only have one it would have to be the Amplified but I love do love the more accessible/modern versions for longer narrative passages. We are going through the book of Judges in our study group at the moment and I find that they give me a sense of the story before I start to study.

Having said that, the paper Bible in my church bag at the moment is my NLT Life Application Study Bible.

Mrswildthing
Aslan Review Team
Aslan Review Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum