The Boy Who Loved Rain

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Boy Who Loved Rain

Post by Leona123 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:18 pm

Has anyone read 'The Boy Who Loved Rain'?

It's not the kind of book i'd usually pick up - the blurb makes it pretty clear you're about to delve into a world of the angst of a teenage boy - but it's surprisingly good!
It's written by Gerard Kelly (the guy who wrote 'Church Actually' and 'The Prodigal Evangelical', which i was surprised about because i guess i was expecting it to be a bit preachy? I was even more surprised when i realised that most of it's narrated from a woman's point of view! The chapters jump between the conscious of different characters, so each chapter is narrated by a different person. But it turns out, Gerard Kelly can speak 'female' very well.
Instead of a book about moody teens, what you actually get is an insight into the lives of a church pastor's family; the concerns and struggles of the pastor's wife as she tries to nagivate through family difficulty while 'keeping up appearances'; the highs and lows of marriage; the impact of these of those around them; and so on... and then the journey (from the point of view of each) as they struggle to reconcile as a family, face their failures and fears, process life's hurts together and grow closer as a family.
Sounds a bit airy fairy, but by jumping between each character actually gives it a perfect pace as you never really know the full story of the situation - you just learn and pick up clues as you go - which gives it quite a dramatic thriller element to it too.
I'm only half way through, but i'm so keen to get to my lunch break each day so i can read another chapter!
Anyone else read this?
Leona123
Early Reader
Early Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Boy Who Loved Rain

Post by LittleBlueCar on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:59 am

no way! i've just started reading this too Very Happy
took a while to get used to the writing style (i guess i'm too used to reading 'chic lit'), but it's SO good.
very well written, very clever, and often a bit uncomfortable (in the good kind of way when someone challenges you on something you've done/said) reading through other people's thought processes and struggles and having certain parts resonate or where you jump to the same conclusions characters do and then are proven wrong and shown up for your hastiness to judge.
such a good read!
LittleBlueCar
Early Reader
Early Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Leona123 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:38 am

You're reading it too?!!
Ah now i want to discuss certain bits with you but dont want to give anything away for people who havent read it.
Spoilers are the worst!
Leona123
Early Reader
Early Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aslan_HQ on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:47 am

Hi girls,

Don't worry, the forum is built with a special feature for moments like this in mind!
If you go to the list of icons above the reply message box (the section where you can put things in bold, or add smilies, etc) there's an icon of a notepade with a yellow warning sign next to it.
Once you click it there's a box that says 'Title (optional)' where you can describe the section you're hiding (e.g. 'Chapter 4', 'Background info', etc) so if you add a title and click 'Insert' it will put some code into your message. Then you can type your spoiler between the marks where the typing line is flashing, and once it's posted, the message is there, but hidden until someone chooses to click it open.

Spoiler test (it's okay, you can open this one):
This is what it looks like when you click open a spoiler box - once you click it you can see the text it's hiding!

So, for example, if the spoiler title says 'Chapter 4' and you've only read up to chapter 2 - don't click it!  Very Happy

Happy chatting!
Aslan_HQ
Admin

View user profile http://www.aslanchristianbooks.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RuthWebbVet on Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:21 pm

You have made it sound really appealing - may have to buy yet another book!

RuthWebbVet
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleBlueCar on Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:37 pm

It's really good!
Just got to a bit where one of the characters starts discussing the town's history, and how they banded together to learn how to thrive again once the Nazi's left the area.
(don't worry, it's not a spoiler)
Completely unexpected part of the storyline to come up in a book like this, but so well written and really strengthens it by bringing a new depth not only to the characters, but also to an otherwise bland setting.

Well worth a read!
I'm still going :-)
LittleBlueCar
Early Reader
Early Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Leona123 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:42 pm

Loved that bit
very well written :-)
Leona123