Best stories in the bible

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best stories in the bible

Post by jonno on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:36 am

What are peoples favourite stories from the bible?

I like the Tower of Babel in Genesis 11:1. It was a marvelous excuse to not pay attention in French class.

jonno
Emerging Reader
Emerging Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best stories in the bible

Post by Mrswildthing on Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:11 pm

For me it has to be the story of the ravens feeding Elijah at the brook in Cherith. I have always loved that story from childhood and now I love it because I understand more of the implications.

Mrswildthing
Aslan Review Team
Aslan Review Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KingsOfLion on Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:08 pm

This doesn't do much for God's PR - After being commissioned by God from the burning bush, Moses is on his way back to Egypt when this suddenly happens:

At a lodging place on the way the Lord met him and sought to put him to death. Then [Moses’ wife] Zipporah took a flint and cut off her son’s foreskin and touched Moses’ feet with it and said, “Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me!” So he let him alone. It was then that she said, “A bridegroom of blood,” because of the circumcision. (Exodus 4.24-26)

There’s no immediate context or explanation as to why God is suddenly trying to kill Moses, why Zipporah thinks to circumcise their son to save Moses, or why touching the child’s foreskin to Moses’ feet assuages God intent to kill Moses.

But it all worked out (close call!), Moses was able to continue on with his mission, and the rest is *history*.

Last edited by Herman Eutic on Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:14 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Jonno didn't like the fact that I didn't put history in inverted commas; but as I pointed out, all history is peculiar to the one writing it and is subject to the various power plays in force at the time. For the sake of forum relations I have relented.)
KingsOfLion
Emerging Reader
Emerging Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum