'Surprised By Hope' - Tom Wright

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by LittleMissSunshine on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:51 am

My church's Bible study for 20s-30s started up last night introducing the new series for the next few months, with a view to focusing on Gospel of Matthew and exploring what 'Kingdom' really means.
The person leading the session quoted quite heavily from Surprised By Hope by Tom Wright.
I've not read anything from Tom Wright before, but i know the name as he's a fairly prolific author.
Have any of you read 'Surprised By Hope'?
What did you think?

I've just ordered a copy from Aslan because it would be interesting to see the excerpts quoted in their original context because the sections shared definitely challenged my theology!
So will follow up this post when i've read a bit more Smile

LittleMissSunshine
Early Reader
Early Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Surprised By Hope' - Tom Wright

Post by LittleBlueCar on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:35 pm

I've not read 'Surprised By Hope' but I have read a few of the small Bible study guides he wrote.
I know it's probably not the same because it's targeted to a different audience so probably a lot more general rather than deep theology, but they were pretty good and 'sound teaching' as it were.
LittleBlueCar
Early Reader
Early Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ILoveLions on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:07 pm

I've not read 'Surprised by Hope' but I have read 'The New Testament for Everyone' during the Christmas Holidays (with the flu). It's an excellent read with a very simple and clear narrative style. There's one sentence that seems different to the other narrative style and it is a brilliant use of writing style for communicating a very important message.

The book is a one person translation and or paraphrase, not a word for word, or thought, for thought but it is a very interesting translation of the New Testament and the characters. More colloquial than descriptive. I am more used to the King James version, so there is quite a difference but it is very thought inspiring.

ILoveLions
Emerging Reader
Emerging Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aslan_HQ on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:30 am

What a great explanation ILoveLions!
That's one of the things we like about Tom Wright's work. That he's able to offer Biblical study and theological texts for a variety of audiences.
For example anything that's marked as being by 'N.T. Wright' (the N is for Nicholas, but he prefers to use his middle name) is usually a more in depth study for people looking for full theological and academic works.
But things marked as being written by 'Tom Wright' take a more conversational and general approach and are great if you want to look into an idea or an area of the Bible a little deeper but in a readable and practical way.
And then the For Everyone series (and it's Bible Study Guide counterpart) use much more colloquial language, anecdotes, and areas where you can bring you own experience into what you're reading rather than being preached or getting lost in specific nuances of translations.

We don't know many authors who are able to offer this full spectrum of writing on such a broad scale.
Well done, Tom Wright!
Aslan_HQ
Admin

View user profile http://www.aslanchristianbooks.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum