Scent, memory, and God

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scent, memory, and God

Post by LittleMissSunshine on Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:46 am

Came across an article on Christianity Today's facebook page yesterday.
To be fair, i only opened it because i was intrigued by the fact that they'd titled it 'Oh, How He Smells Us', like the Kim Walker worship song 'How He Loves Us'
But it was actually a surprisingly interesting read focusing on one of the lesser explored parts of human nature and God's gifting - our sense of smell.
We often attribute touch, sight, and hearing to Spiritual giftings, even taste ('taste and see that the Lord is good'), but how often do we consider the value of scent as part of our Journey, or that it's something God was intentional about from the start of Adam's creation. "Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being” (Gen. 2:7).

Scent is something deeply connected with our memories and therefore a deep part of who we are as we can often recall long-forgotten moments that played into the development of our character based on something we smell in passing, even if only briefly.

Anyway, i thought it was an interesting read with lots of offshoots to other articles should you want to explore it further:
http://www.christianitytoday.com/behemoth/2015/issue-36-november-26-2015/oh-how-he-smells-us.html?share=OYeKw55FSv6j%204yq3Fr8%20b3hs/s9ch1B

LittleMissSunshine
Early Reader
Early Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum